How to Sight Read on Guitar
In this Master Class, you’ll learn the fundamentals of how to read music notation on guitar. This is a key skill to learn if you want to become a professional guitarist.
Your teacher Jamey Arent is an LA-based pro session guitarist whose playing can be heard on soundtracks for Netflix, TBS, and Comedy Central shows. The step-by-step lessons in this class will quickly get you up to speed on the essentials of sight reading on guitar.
Why learn to read music?
- It makes learning music easier and more time efficient
- It’s a key skill to learn if you’re looking to find work as a pro session or touring guitarist
- It’s typically required for music school auditions
- It’ll enable you to write music for other instruments
Not everyone needs to learn how to sight read, but we strongly recommend that guitarists who want to make a career out of music develop this skill. This class is your best resource for doing just that.
But I prefer to play by ear..
If you primarily play by ear, that's great! It'll enhance your reading ability and make you a stronger player. However, having both skills will make you a competitive candidate for gigs as a pro guitarist.
What you’ll learn in this class:
- Rhythm notation basics
- “On-the-spot” analysis techniques
- Must-know music theory concepts
- How to practice sight reading
This class includes a 100-page PDF with sight reading examples and seven full songs to practice with. As a Pickup Music member, you’ll also have access to our library of 350+ SongSquads for additional sight-reading practice.
Ready to sight read? Let’s get started with the first lesson!